Given the holiday today, Jim and I were able to dedicate the morning to brewing! Nice!!
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
2 lbs Oats, Flaked
1 lb Victory Malt
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
2.0 oz Fuggles – Boil 60.0 min
2.0 oz UK Goldings – Boil 15.0 min
2.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-)
Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG — Measured Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG — Measured Final Gravity: TBD
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 24 IBUs Calories: 211 kcal/12oz
Runnings: 1.020 SG
Everything seemed to go pretty well. We stirred the mash early, even with recirculation, to try to eliminate any channels or dead spots. We didn’t watch the temp quite closely enough and went above/below target temp a few times. Mash went about 75 minutes, mostly because the sparge water wasn’t ready after 60 minutes. Early sparge was fast… about 1 gal/90 seconds. Later, was able to reduce the transfer to about 1 gal/5 minutes.
Main issue is that we still don’t understand why the boil kettle indicates we should have about 11.5 gallons but we only end up with about 10.25 in the fermenters. We went high on the OG… not sure if this was due to the missed mash temperatures or just good overall mash efficiency.
BTW, the Oatmeal stout is drinking from the keg right now and I think it’s pretty much delicious. Trying to keep a bunch around in case we have a birthday party later in March.